Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Siem Reap


After Phnom Pehn we headed to Siem Reap, which is near the Angkor Wat ruins.









Angkor Wat is pretty amazing. 
Basically it’s a huge Buddhist temple. 


Almost all Cambodians are Buddhists, which is interesting given that Buddhism started off in far way India.


The Indians have had a huge influence here due to trading links over many centuries.



You can get great Indian curries here, cheap too, $2-$5 with beers.






Then we visited the Angkor Thom temple.

Kim cracking onto one of the statues

This temple has the huge faces carved into stone all around the place. I liked it more than Angkor Wat, although it was smaller, it is a massively complex labyrinth of rooms, corridors and chambers.



Despite the many tourists here, Kim and I could easily find small sections of the temple where no one else could be found.

Then we went to Ta Prohm, which is where the trees grow through the building.

All of these sites are being gradually restored with international aid.

By now we had been walking around in 38 degree heat for most of the day.


Given how much I once hated hot weather, I seem to be faring pretty well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment